Casa Ramona Academy for Technology, Community and Education’s (CRA) mission is to break the cycle of poverty and underachievement in our area by creating a community of learners with 500 youth of modest means in grades K-12 who will demonstrate dual language development, academic and career, technical education concepts, and the knowledge, attitudes, and actions critical to achievement in the 21st Century.
As part of this mission CRA will be a school of choice in the City of San Bernardino. CRA is organized, managed and supported by the Westside community to provide a disciplined, safe and superior educational environment.
- Such a community will connect learners to the high wage, high tech pathways of our global society.
- It will continually research and implement the most effective teaching and learning strategies within a world class, standards-based curriculum.
- It will use state-of-the-art technologies to integrate academic knowledge and real-world applications within a professional, work-like setting through its career and technical education program.
- It will connect all students to college and university programs.
- It will value diversity and nourish intercultural understanding.
Casa Ramona Academy achieves its mission by:
- Encouraging excellence in all academic and personal pursuits
- Creating an educational environment in which the pursuit of academic excellence and intellectual growth is complemented by a concern for the moral, physical, psychological and aesthetic development of each student
- Developing and retaining excellent faculty and staff
- Recognizing the fundamental importance of honesty, civility, public service and respect for others and the environment
- Cultivating resilience, independence, leadership and moral courage
- Sustaining a diverse, inclusive and multicultural community that affirms and values each individual
- Attracting dedicated families committed to the mission of the school
- Promoting programs in all divisions that integrate our students with the community
- Developing the financial and physical resources to support the school’s needs.
In February of 2007 parents, teachers, and students in the Westside Community organized to present a Charter Petition to the San Bernardino City Unified School District for the establishment of a charter school in the Westside of the City of San Bernardino. Casa Ramona Academy was chartered by the San Bernardino City Unified School District in April of 2007.
In the years following the establishment of Casa Ramona Academy, the school has developed into a vital center of learning in the neighborhoods of the Westside:
- In 2008, CRA received its full accreditation from Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC) at its first review, a rare achievement among newly chartered schools.
- In the last 4 years, an average of 370 students have attended CRA annually.
- In our first school year, our student body scored 609 on the API testing.
- In 2010 our API soared to 658. A 49% point jump.
- High school courses are submitted, reviewed and approved for admissions criteria by the University of California.
- Year round music programs
- CIF sports
- Parent Participation/English Learners Advisory Council (ELAC)
- Parent participation/School Site Council
- Family Community Service Hours
- 37 seniors have graduated from CRA, reflecting a 94.9% graduation rate
- As of June 2011, 84.2% of CRA 10th graders passed the CAHSEE English exam, and 94.7% have passed the CAHSEE Math exam.
5 CRA student authors published in the Journal of Latinos and Education (January-March, 2011)